This year my Halloween recipe is a delicious pumpkin pie! This recipe is perfect for spooky season, and another way to use the leftover pumpkin flesh after carving!
Macros: (based on 10 servings)
of which sugars: 19g
For the pastry:
- 150g plain flour
- 50g icing sugar
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
For the filling:
- 750g cubed pumpkin flesh
- 120g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 25g unsalted butter
- 175ml milk
- Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 22cm pie dish with butter.
2. Add the pumpkin chunks to a large saucepan and cover with boiling water. Let this boil for around 1 minute and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes (until it is soft). Strain out the water and leave the pumpkin to cool down.
3. For the pastry, add the flour and butter into a large mixing bowl and crumble together until it looks like fine crumbs. Then stir in the icing sugar.
4. Next, add the beaten egg and continue to mix. If the mixture is not holding, add 1 tbsp of water at a time until it holds together. Once combined, wrap it in clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. For the filling, add the cool pumpkin to a blender and blitz into a purée. Next, add the caster sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a crack of salt in a new mixing bowl and stir. Add the beaten egg, milk, melted butter and pumpkin purée, continue to mix until fully combined. Set this aside for later.
6. Now get the cooled pastry and roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Roll to about the depth of a pound coin. Lay it in the pie dish and remove the excess pastry spilling over the sides.
7. Put a sheet of baking paper over the pastry and fill with baking beans. Bake this for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 12 minutes.
8. Once the pastry shell is baked, remove it from the oven and pour the pumpkin filling in. Now bake it for a further 30-35 minutes (until the filling has started to set).
9. Leave the pie to fully cool, then dust with icing sugar, cinnamon and Halloween decorations if you wish!
10. Serve with ice cream and enjoy! 🙂
Thank you for reading my Halloween Pumpkin Pie recipe! Be sure to subscribe and follow me on Instagram!